SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#73272 - 01/20/01 04:52 AM Midi -> wav - audiofiles
Anonymous
Unregistered

Who knows how to go from midifiles to audio file. I want to hear miy music on my cd player ?

#73273 - 01/20/01 07:48 AM Re: Midi -> wav - audiofiles
OldSchool Offline

Loc: Lexington, KY USA
Alfons:
Since MIDI files have no musical sounds in them at all, just commands for notes, converting MIDI files to sound files isn't a simple conversion process. MIDI requires a synth, sound module, or computer sound card to actually produce the sounds you can then record.

If you use a synth or sound module, you'll have to play the MIDI file through it, and take the line out of it to record. You could then record to your computer through the line-in patch on your sound card.

If you're playing your MIDI files via your computer and using your sound card for the sounds, you can record from your sound card's line-out. I believe you can also simply record internally using your computer's built-in sound-recording tools - I've never done this, so I'm not sure. Sound software packages like Cakewalk make this simpler.

However, using your sound card to produce the sounds is frequently not very satisfying, since most sound cards don't have very good samples for MIDI - though the better ones do OK. (Yamaha produces sound card versions of some of its synths and modules, which, I presume, would sound as good as the synths themselves.)

Hope this helps!

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online